This ice cream is an “ode” to all those Chocolate-Covered Macadamia Nuts my dad was given for birthdays or Christmas over the years. Sometimes there was no chocolate involved but that’s how I think he likes them best. Today is my dad’s birthday
and I thought it would be most appropriate to post this Chocolate Macadamia Ice Cream in honor of this day.
Growing up I remember my dad would often get chocolate covered macadamia nuts for his birthday or Christmas. Amidst the rustling of tissue paper and ripping of wrapping I’d see him pull out the jar of delights. He’d give it a light shake and you’d hear them rattle inside. Then, with a twinkle in his eye, he’d unscrew the lid, pull out a few sweet morsels and pop them in his mouth with a crunch and a YUM!!
The first time I “braved” trying one of my dad’s prized macadamia nuts was sometime in my high school years. He had gotten a bag for Christmas (or something) and insisted I try one. Although they had never tempted me in the past… I had an aversion to all things nuts (except pistachios) for a good part of my childhood…. they were now calling out my name for a taste. Dad was surprised I acquiesced… heck! I was surprised!! That was the beginning of the love affair. I was won over. Macadamia & I were now besties for life.
And then my dad hid his macadamia bag in his “secret spot”.
This No Churn Chocolate Ice Cream is NO CHURN…. not because I’m anti-churn… but because I do not possess an ice cream maker. Feel free to gift me one though… I’ll gladly take it! 😉
If you have the fortitude to melt bittersweet chocolate, toast lovely macadamia nuts and whip cream into stiff peaks… you CAN make this ice cream.
In fact, I think you should make it TODAY.
You only need to grab FIVE ingredients from the grocery store to make it happen… are you ready for the list??
Here it goes…
- Bittersweet Chocolate Chips (Ghirardelli is HIGHLY recommended by this home cook)
- One can sweetened condensed milk (14-oz)
- Vanilla Extract
- Heavy Cream
- Macadamia Nuts
Who knows… you might already have a couple of these items on hand?!
The most difficult part of making this ice cream is waiting for it to freeze.
You will love it. Your family will love it. Your friends will love it.
What’s not to LOVE?!!
- 1 slightly heaping cup bittersweet chocolate chips (or sub semi-sweet)
- 1 can (14oz) sweetened condensed milk
- ½ tsp PURE vanilla extract
- 2 cups heavy cream (cold!)
- ⅔ cup macadamia nuts, chopped and toasted
- In a small, microwave-safe bowl... add the chocolate chips and microwave for 30 seconds. Stir. Microwave for another 30 seconds. Stir well. Microwave for 10 seconds more and stir until completely melted. (You can do more 10 second intervals if needed to get them melted!) Set the chocolate aside to cool slightly.
- Add the sweetened condensed milk to a large bowl with the vanilla extract. Measure out (or guesstimate) ¼ cup of the melted chocolate and add it to the bowl. Stir together well.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, whip the heavy cream for about 2-3 minutes on HIGH (or until stiff peaks form). You can do this by hand or with a hand mixer but it will take a bit longer! 🙂
- Add the whipped cream to the milk-chocolate-vanilla mixture and fold together using a rubber spatula. Fold gently until completely mixed together and there are no more white streaks visible. Add in the toasted macadamia nuts (make sure they are cooled if you just toasted them!!) and fold them in to combine well.
- Transfer the ice cream mixture to a 9x5 loaf pan. Drizzle the remaining melted chocolate over the top and use a butter knife to swirl it into the ice cream mixture well. Cover tightly and pop the pan in the freezer until completely frozen (overnight!!.... or 5-6 hours).
- Serve the ice cream with additional toasted macadamia nuts for topping (and more melted chocolate if you want!)