Gal Meets Food has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser, Dr Pepper/Seven Up, Inc. All opinions are my own as always. #BrighTENtheSeason
How many days did you say until Christmas?? WHAAAAAATTT?!!!
(fast, panicked breathing)
Okay… give me a second. I’m just hyperventilating slightly over here. I mean… I’m sure YOU already have your house all decorated and gifts all bought and wrapped and your Christmas dinner menu all planned but…. hmmmm. NOPE. I definitely don’t have any of these things done. Deep breaths. There’s still time Jenna. Heart rate slowing. Okay…
Okay! I’m okay. All is well. I’m ready to face the imminent celebrations ahead. Umm… kinda sorta maybe. Anyhow…
Good thing I have these margaritas to help get the season started!
Flip on some Christmas music, whip up a batch of these and start sippin’! I promise it will get you in the holiday mood.
Cranberries. Oranges. Rosemary. Triple sec. Tequila. 7UP®. Festive music. Fabulous!!
And speaking of good stuff…if you think you love margaritas now, just wait until you try this one. Gorgeous, colorful, refreshing, delicious…and RED! You’ll be in a festive mood immediately!
Seriously… one fizzy sip (it’s that 7UP® in the mix!!) and it’ll drive you straight into Merry Margarita land. By design.
Now… I’ll be honest… I’m usually just happy to buy my drinks at the grocery store or at a restaurant. I rarely “mix” anything at home. And definitely not in any sort of styled, professional, measured way. Unless you call pouring a few things over ice and hoping for the best “measured”??! The food blogger in me wants to know cocktails and mixed drinks inside out and by heart and be an expert pro mixologist type person. Or something. I’m not even sure if I’m using the right words here.
But, as it turns out, the art of “margarita making” is much simpler than I thought it would be and incredibly MORE satisfying than I expected! When I was testing this recipe I hit “BLEND” and then…. magic.
I took a spoon and dipped it in the drink…. HEAVEN I tell you. I can’t wait for you to try these.
They’re perfect. Fizzy, sweet, and SPIKED!
It was easy to pick up my 7UP® at my local Target store!! And, while I was shopping, I decided to pick up some gorgeous margarita glasses so I could serve my Cranberry Citrus Margaritas more officially!! (find similar options here or here or just head to Target to pick some up!)
I love Target. It really is a one-stop shop!
Oooooooo…….. and have you heard of Ibotta yet??
Okay it’s this app that let’s you earn money while shopping at LOTS of stores (including Target!!) You just download the app, unlock rebates before you shop, go shopping!, scan your barcodes & receipt, and have CASH deposited into your account within 48 hours!! Pretty cool, huh?
Be sure to take advantage of these Ibotta offers while you’re shopping at Target to make these Cranberry Citrus Margaritas!!….
- Save $.75 when you buy two 2-liter bottles (varieties include: 7UP®, A&W®, Canada Dry® Ginger Ale, RC® Cola, Sundrop®, Sunkist® Orange, Squirt®, Country Time®, Diet Rite®, Vernors®, Cactus Cooler® and Hawaiian Punch®)
- Save $2.00 when you buy four 12-pack cans (varieties include: 7UP®, A&W®, Canada Dry® Ginger Ale, RC® Cola, Sundrop®, Sunkist® Orange, Squirt®, Country Time®, Diet Rite®, Vernors®, Cactus Cooler®, Hawaiian Punch® and Tahitian Treat)
I absolutely love this cocktail. It’s very, very flavorful and very easy to whip up. And it’s extra delicious because instead of putting salt on the rim, I do a nice, unapologetically thick rim of orange-infused sugar. And mmmmmm that FIZZ!! Thank you 7UP®!!
7UP® is PERFECT for holiday entertaining… it’s sweet and bubbly and adds pizzazz to these Cranberry Citrus Margaritas or any of your Cocktail/ Mocktail creations!
Oh… and back to those sugared rims… you can use salt if you prefer, but realize that you’ll miss out on a fun little activity that comes with the sugared rims. Sit back and watch as your guests attempt to lick their glasses in a polite, distinguished way. I know that this is difficult to do from experience. Ahem.
Want more recipe inspiration with your favorite drinks? Find more ideas from these perfect holiday moments!
What food or drinks are traditional MUST HAVES for you and your family during this holiday season?? I’d love to know!
If you make these Cranberry Citrus Margaritas I’d love to see pics! Share on your social network of choice and tag your photos #galmeetsfood @galmeetsfood so I can see your Gal Meets Food recipes in action! Find me on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, & Pinterest. I hope I talk to you in one of those spots soon!
- ¼ cup water
- ¼ cup + ½ cup granulated sugar, divided
- 1-2 sprigs rosemary + more for garnish (1 sprig for each glass)
- 2 naval oranges, zested and juiced (you need ⅓ cup juice) + 1 more orange for the glass rims
- 3 TBSP coarse sugar (or regular granulated sugar will work!) or you can use salt if you prefer
- 1 12-oz bag fresh cranberries (about 3 cups)
- ¾ cup triple sec
- ¾ cup silver tequila
- ½ cup 7UP®
- 5-6 cups ice cubes
- ½ cup water
- 1 cup granulated sugar, divided
- 2 cups fresh cranberries
- Add the water and ¼ cup sugar to a small saucepan and place over medium heat. Stir until the sugar is completely dissolved. Bring to a boil and then remove from the heat. Immediately place the rosemary sprigs into the simple syrup, being sure to submerge them in the liquid. Set the rosemary simple syrup aside to allow the rosemary to infuse into the mixture and to allow it to cool completely (about 1 hour).
- Pour the 3 TBSP of sugar into a shallow bowl. Zest the oranges and let the zest sit for 10 minutes to dry out a bit. Add the zest to the sugar and stir well. Cover with plastic wrap or put in an airtight container until you're ready to use the orange-sugar.
- Add the freshly squeezed orange juice to a medium saucepan and pour in the remaining ½ cup granulated sugar. Place over medium heat and stir often until the sugar is completely dissolved. Add the cranberries and stir to coat. Cook over medium heat for 5 minutes, stirring often. Remove from the heat and let cool COMPLETELY.
- When the rosemary simple syrup and the cranberry mixture are both cooled completely, add them to your blender. Blend WELL to combine! Add in the triple sec, tequila and 7UP®. Blend again! Cover the blender and place it in the fridge until you're ready to serve the margaritas. (You'll want to make the sugared cranberries at this point... or make those ahead of time... and sugar/ salt the rims of your glasses.)
- Slice the remaining orange in half. Rub the inside of the orange around the rim of a glass. Dip & twist the rim in your orange zest-sugar (or salt). Repeat with the remaining glasses.
- When you're ready to serve the margaritas, add the 5 cups of ice to the blender with the margarita mixture. Blend really well! Taste and add more of whatever you think it needs... ice, sugar, triple sec, tequila, freshly squeezed orange juice and/ or 7UP®. When you're happy with the mixture, pour it into your glasses. Garnish by throwing several sugared cranberries into each glass. Stick a sprig of rosemary and a straw in each margarita.
- Add the water and ½ cup of the sugar to a medium saucepan and place over medium heat. Stir until the sugar is completely dissolved. Add in the 2 cups of fresh cranberries and remove from the heat. Stir well to coat.
- Using a slotted spoon, move the cranberries to a wire rack to dry a bit. Try to make sure the cranberries aren't touching each other or they will stick. Brush more of the syrup over the cranberries on the wire rack and then let them dry for about 20 minutes.
- Pour the remaining ½ cup sugar into a shallow bowl. Working in batches, add the cranberries into the bowl with the sugar and roll/ toss to coat the outsides of the cranberries with the sugar. Place the sugared cranberries back on the wire rack to dry completely. Once they are dried you can store them in an airtight container until you're ready to use them.
You can make the margaritas up to one day ahead of time in the blender... just don't add the ice! Store the mixture tightly covered in the fridge. When you're ready to serve, make your sugar-zest mixture and sugar the rims of your glasses. Add the ice to the cranberry margarita mixture and blend well! Pour, garnish & serve!