Okay… so… I just have to say that this is UHHH-MAY-ZINGGGG!
And you can totally use it to serve two. But definitely doable for one person to polish off. I know this from experience. Ahem.
Do you ever get cravings for things??
Especially when the cool weather hits here in Phoenix I start hard core coveting, pining for, dreaming about APPLE desserts. It’s my favorite treat… but I’m not always in the mood to bake a whole Apple Pie. Or to have a whole pie sitting around the house! With me being the main party craving said pie… I’m the main party eating said pie. Ahem.
A couple of weeks ago I was craving the pie BAD.
Like the give it to me now kind of bad.
And I was about ready to cave, jet to the store, and grab a store-bought pie with the crumbly stuff on top (no joke). But then, I considered the effort it would take… Load the three kiddos in the car, unload, walk in, bathroom break, wrangle, check out, walk out, reload, unload, regroup. Meh. Mission aborted.
I walked over and opened the fridge instead.
I’m an apple addict so there are always always ALWAYS apples in my fridge. I popped open the freezer below and found some almonds.
Hmmmm…. the wheels were turning. Apple crisp???
Brown sugar. Check.
I even had heavy whipping cream. Hmmmm….
Being the crazy food blogger that I am, I chopped up an apple and tossed it with flour, brown sugar, cinnamon and salt. Throw it in a ramekin. There… filling DONE!
Now for the topping… The almonds, flour, brown sugar and salt. SIMPLE!! Rub in cold butter cubes. Crumble on top. There!!… topping DONE!
Oven 400°F. Cover and bake. Uncover and bake some more.
Whip cream. Top it. EAT it!
Seriously satisfied my craving in a BIG way.
The kids were down for naps so I grabbed a spoon and just sunk into the couch. Heaven.
Check your fridge. Substitute sugars or nuts based on what you have on hand.
MAKE. THIS. RECIPE!!!
Snatch some alone time or grab a friend… and prepare for some serious, satisfying yumminess! ♥
- 1 golden delicious apple
- 1 tsp all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- ⅛ tsp ground cinnamon
- Pinch of kosher salt
- 2 TBSP all-purpose flour
- 2 TBSP sliced almonds plus about 1 tsp more for garnish (or substitute another nut if desired)
- 1 TBSP brown sugar
- Pinch of kosher salt
- 1 TBSP cold butter, cut into small cubes
- Whipped cream or Vanilla ice cream for serving
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Lightly spray a ramekin that is approximately 4½-inches in diameter and 2-inches deep.
- Quarter and core the apple. Slice each quarter into four slices. Cut each of the slices into thirds.
- Place the apples in a small bowl and add the flour, brown sugar, cinnamon and salt. Stir well to coat the apples evenly. Transfer to your prepared ramekin.
- Quickly rinse and wipe dry the bowl you mixed the apples in so you can make the topping. Add the flour, almonds, brown sugar and salt to the bowl. Mix well! It's okay if the almonds break apart. Add in the cubes of butter and add it in with the other topping ingredients. Use your fingers to rub the butter into the dry mixture. It should be crumbly but still stick together in clumps when you squeeze it.
- Crumble the topping mixture evenly over top of the filling in the ramekin. Dot with the extra teaspoon of sliced almonds. Spray the top of the apple crisp lightly with cooking spray. Cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes. Remove the foil and bake an additional 10-15 minutes until crispy and browned on top.
- Remove the apple crisp carefully and transfer to a wire rack to cool a bit. Enjoy warm and topped with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.